IT Infrastructure for Biomedical Research
In the last years the availability of new technologies for translational research increase the need to have effective informatics solutions to analyze and integrate heterogeneous clinical and molecular Big Data of large patient populations in order to fully understand a disease.
A solution of excellence for data integration for translational research has been developed by the research center i2b2 - Informatics for Integrating Biology and the Bedside (at the University of Harvard, Boston www.i2b2.org) funded by NIH. This center developed i2b2, an open-source software based on a data-warehouse able to integrate and to exploit all data coming from clinical practice and hospital admissions, making them available and easily accessible by researchers. Nowadays i2b2 environments are installed in hundreds of clinical centers to manage data for more than 100 millions of patients. I2b2 represents the basis for the ‘’precision medicine program’’ recently funded by US government and President Obama.
Laboratory of Biomedical Informatics “Mario Stefanelli” (BMI) is an academic partner of the i2b2 project since 2008 and has implemented i2b2 platform to support many translational research projects in all the clinical centers in Pavia.
- IRCCS “C. Mondino National Institute of Neurology” Foundation, Pavia, Italy
- Lab. Experimental Neurobiology (2009)
- IRCCS Fondazione Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
- Dep. Transfusion Medicine (2010)
- Dep. Hematology Oncology (2015)
- IRCCS Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri, Pavia, Italy
- Dep. Cardiology rehabilitation (2012)
- Oncology Unit (2011)
- Hospital Information System (2016)
The University of Pavia has also implemented i2b2 platform for supporting research activities in other Italian hospitals:
- IRCCS Centro cardiologico Monzino, Milano, Italy – Intensive Care Unit (2011)
- IRCCS Fondazione Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milano, Italy – HIS (2016)
and for data integration within some European Projects:
- FP7-INHERITANCE (La Coruña - Spain) – Cardiomyopathies (2011)
- IMI-SUMMIT (Lund, Sweden) – Cardiovascular complications (2013)
- FP7-MOSAIC(ASL and FSM Pavia, Valencia, Athens-GR) – Diabetes (2015)
BIOMERIS is an academic Spin-Off of University of Pavia and official partner of i2b2 and Foundation. Since 2012 BIOMERIS has provided professional services to implement the i2b2 environment in EU health institutions.